Joe Wicks Wean in 15 cheesy pea quinoa risotto
A little while back, we had the privilege of talking all things sleep with the nation’s PE teacher, the one and only Joe Wicks. It was particularly special for us – not just for his monumental effort to keep us all feeling good during lockdown – but because of what Joe has personally done for Pea co-founder, Paul.
Paul totally transformed his life using Joe's 90 Day Plan, and now uses the Body Coach App to keep active and feel good. When we started Pea in June 2019, we had a couple of people in mind who we imagined working with – dream collaborators, our favourite stars – people who would love Pea and what we’d worked so hard to create. And Joe was one of them. Catch the Quick Six interview here
So, getting to ask Joe about sleep was a huge moment. Best of all? He gave us one of our favourite ever recipes, so that we could share it with you. Thanks, Joe. Your kindness, enthusiasm, brilliant videos, and delicious recipes have made the world a better place for so many people.
Is risotto a good baby food?
It absolutely is. Risotto is the perfect introduction to more complex, cooked foods. It’s wholesome, simple, and has a perfect flavour and texture combination. Risottos are awesome for adding in any veg you fancy - so you can try different combinations in a familiar package. We’re super excited to share this amazing cheesy pea quinoa risotto with you, from Joe’s baby food recipe book, Wean in 15 – packed with 100 quick, tasty recipes for weaning babies and their parents.
Joe says, “This recipe tastes yummy with the cheese – I think you and your baby will enjoy it!”
The eagle-eyed among you will note that it’s a risotto made with quinoa rather than rice. That makes it easier on babies’ tummies, and has an additional protein benefit, which can aid sleep.
Risottos are awesome for adding in any veg you fancy. This recipe tastes yummy with the cheese. I think you and your baby will enjoy it!
MAKES 1 ADULT AND 1 BABY PORTION
7 - 9 MONTHS+
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 100g quinoa
- 600ml hot stock
- 130g frozen peas, defrosted
- 80g cheddar, grated
- Squeeze of lemon and a handful of chopped herbs, to finish - optional
- Melt the butter or heat the oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and gently fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the quinoa, stirring to coat it in the mixture.
- Add in the hot stock, a ladle at a time, waiting for each ladleful to evaporate before adding in the next.
- When you have roughly one ladle of stock left, add in the peas and cheese along with the remaining ladle of stock.
- Stir until creamy and the cheese has melted into the stock.
- Remove from the heat and add the optional lemon juice and herbs now if you like.
Keeps for 2-3 days covered in the fridge.
Did you know Joe Wick’s favourite collection is Treetops. Check out why he loves our Treetops bedding so much.